Kenya's Sharon Cherop has won the women's race at the 2012 Boston Marathon, and did so in dramatic fashion, edging countrywomen Jemima Jelagat Sumgong at the finish line by just two seconds.
It became a two-woman race around mile 23, when Georgina Rono fell off the pace, leaving the race to be decided by countrywomen Cherop and Sumgong. They ran side-by-side for the last couple miles but then on the final turn, some 600 meters from the finish, Cherop kicked hard and began pulling away. Sumgong responded, but it was too little, too late.
Cherop broke the tape in 2:31:50, roughly 10 minutes slower than last year's time (Caroline Kilel finished in 2:22:36). This year wasn't so kind to Kilel -- she was reportedly walking past Fenway Park (around mile 25) -- maybe she just wanted to catch a bit of the Rays-Red Sox game?
2012 Women's Boston Marathon Results:
- Sharon Cherop (Kenya) - 2:31:50
- Jemima Jelagat Sumgong (Kenya) - 2:31:52
- Georgina Rono (Kenya) - 2:33:09
- Firehiwot Dado (Ethiopia)
- Diana Sigei (Kenya)
- Samuel Adams Releases Boston 26.2 Brew, The 'Marathon Beer'
- The Great Garbage Miles Debate
- Marathon: The Ultimate Spectator's Sport
- The Increasing Prices for Entering Marathons
- Every Run is Fleeting.