The heat broke. It finally, finally broke. That's the good news. The bad news is I ran like poo even with good weather. How'd y'all do?
38 of 47 planned miles. Had a great start to the week: new shoes, early morning runs going very well. The humidity broke and running was a delight -- then the weekend happened and the weather was even better! So, naturally, I ran like crap on the weekend.
- Tuesday: 10 miles (9:24 pace). Ten miles to start the week, and I got caught in the rain halfway through. Lots of fun, and decent pacing (I walked some knowing that I had a high-mileage week).
- Wednesday: 5 miles (9:03). Cooler out. Remember nothing else from this run besides that.
- Thursday: 7 miles (8:24). Finished really well on this one; legs opened up a bit (maybe I should have held back) and I felt good, for once.
- Saturday: 5 miles (9:16). Planned 20 miles but knew before heading out that I wasn't going to manage that. Swapped the schedule with Sunday's planned 5 miles and called it a day.
- Sunday: 11.5 miles (12:06). Awful. Sometimes you go out thinking the run won't go so well and then after five miles or so your legs feel OK. That happened, except my legs didn't feel better. They felt worse. Planned 20, turned around to do 15, had to stop at 11.5 and take the Metro home. Not happy at all about this one. The only salvageable news from this is the fact that this run was the worst and I still managed 12 minute pace (~14 minute pace is the minimum for the JFK 50).
Next week: 10/5/7/12/10. Slightly shorter long run, but a longer recovery run. Hopefully I manage to run all of these miles.