The 117th running of the 2013 Boston Marathon will take competitors on the famous 26.2-mile point-to-point course from Hopkinton, Massachusetts, to the finish line in Boston's Copley Square. The start line is in Hopkinton, where the marathon has started since 1925, and immediately goes downhill -- the first mile drops 130 feet.
Athletes follow Route 135 through the towns of Ashland, Framingham, Natick and Wellesley (and its Girls, at Mile 13) before meeting with Route 16, which takes them through Newton Lower Falls to Commonwealth Avenue.
From there the course continues on Commonwealth through the Newton Hills -- including Heartbreak Hill shortly after Mile 20, just when runners are hitting "The Wall" -- turns left onto Beacon Street, continuing to Kenmore Square. The course then takes a right onto Hereford Street, left onto Boylston Street and then finishes n Copley Square, near the John Hancock Tower.
Boston.com has an interactive "Explore the Course" version of the map, offering a "Minute by minute, mile by mile ... runner's view of the Boston Marathon course."
Marathon Monday gets started at 9 a.m. ET, with the Mobility Impaired. Here's a look at the complete 2013 race day schedule:
|DIVISION||START TIME||APPROX NO. OF ENTRANTS||BIB COLOR|
|Mobility Impaired||9:00 a.m.||6|
|Wheelchair Division||9:17 a.m.||30|
|Elite Women||9:32 a.m.||50|
|Elite Men & Wave One||10:00 a.m.||9,000||Red|
|Wave Two||10:20 a.m.||9,000||White|
|Wave Three||10:40 a.m.||9,000||Blue|
|Awards Ceremony*||5:00 p.m.|
Race day road closures
- Hopkinton: Closes at 7 a.m., reopens at 1 p.m.
- Ashland: Closes at 7:30 a.m., reopens at 1 p.m.
- Framingham: Closes at 8:45 a.m., reopens at 1:30 p.m.
- Natick: Closes at 8:45 a.m., reopens at 2 p.m.
- Wellesley: Closes at 8:45 a.m., reopens at 2:30 p.m.
- Newton: Closes at 9 a.m., reopens at 3:30 p.m.
- Brookline: Closes at 9:30 a.m., reopens at 4:30 p.m.
- Boston: Closing times vary, reopens at 6 p.m.