Registration for the 2015 Boston Marathon will open at 10:00 a.m. ET on Monday, September 8, it was announced recently. The Boston Athletic Association will use the same process it put into practice in 2012, allowing the fastest runners priority registration.
To qualify for the marathon, a runner must meet a time corresponding to their age group in a certified race, run on or after September 14, 2013. For example, as a 31-year old male, I would have to complete a marathon in 3 hours and 5 minutes (or faster). BAA.org has the complete qualifying standards.
The BAA will once again use a "rolling" registration -- runners who meet the qualifying standard by 20 minutes or more will be allowed to register first, followed by those who qualified 10 minutes or more. Registration closes Sept. 13, at 10 p.m.
"The B.A.A. worked for a year to organize what we knew would be an historic event this past April, and we appreciate all who cooperated with us to take back the finish line this year," said Tom Grilk, B.A.A. Executive Director. "Now, as we look towards 2015 and beyond, we will work to further demonstrate the unique and inspirational aspects of the Boston Marathon. Our qualifying standards are among the features which make the Boston Marathon special, and our registration process recognizes the perseverance needed to gain entry. Our rolling admission schedule will provide runners with the fastest qualifying times in their age and gender group the ability to have their entry accepted in an orderly and systematic manner."
There has not yet been a decision on the field size for the 2015 Marathon. In 2013, the race has 27,000 entrants, but for 2014's special race, organizers expanded the field to 36,000.
BOSTON MARATHON REGISTRATION DATES:
- Monday, September 8 - Qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard by 20 minutes, 00 seconds or faster.
- Wednesday, September 10 - Qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard by 10 minutes, 00 seconds or faster (if space remains).
- Friday, September 12 - Qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard by 5 minutes, 00 seconds or faster (if space remains).
- Monday, September 15 - All qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard (if space remains) may submit an entry.
- Wednesday, September 17 - Registration closes at 5:00 p.m. ET. Registration from September 15-17 will not be first-come, first-served and the fastest qualifiers in their gender and age group among these submissions will be given entry as space allows.
- If space remains after this initial period, then on Monday, September 22 registration will re-open to anyone who meets the qualifying standards on a first come, first served basis. Registration will remain open until the maximum field size is reached.
The 2015 Boston Marathon, the 119th running of the world famous race, will be held on Monday, April 20, 2015.