clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

The Warmup Lap | 8.6.12 - The Olympics So Much, You Guys

New, 1 comment

Everything about the Olympics has been marvelous so far except for [insert NBC gripes here]. Andy Murray put R-Fed on notice, Serena got her walk on, US rowing teams have been doing well, and the world's first ever double-amputee Olympian is competing in the games. A few nifty things have happened since the track events started last Friday! What are they, you say?

There was a photo finish after nearly two hours of the women's triathlon.

Sanya Richards-Ross finally won her gold in the 400 meters.

Tiki Gelana held off three other women over the course of the last mile to win the women's marathon in an Olympic record 2:23:07.

Usain Bolt won the 100 meters and then did Usain Bolt things.

Matt Centrowitz and Leo Manzano qualified for the men's 1500 meter final.

Britain's Jessica Ennis won the heptathon, finishing the 800 meters first to close out her win. She then held up a British flag and made everyone on the earth ever jealous of her abs.

Two American-trained runners placed 1-2 in the men's 10k after years and years of coming short. They're teammates, both training with Alberto Salazar, and the British absolutely loved seeing their first ever 10k winner run at home.

In non-Olympic reading, a painful race recap to read from the Katcina Mosa 100k:

In order to get a ride back to the Start/Finish area, I had to retrace my steps to Big Springs, which is the closest vehicle-accessible Aid Station. That’s additional 6 miles. All downhill. On one good leg. The pain was so excruciating that the sweat streaming down on my face could just as well be tears.
But there I was. On a beautiful course surrounded by majestic mountains and their rugged terrains, no doubt the result of thousands of years of skillful sculpting by glaciers. You couldn’t help but realize that you were just an inconsequential speck of dust in the scheme of evolution. For the first time since I started the race, I was taking in the sceneries that stood in front of me. By the time I reached my destination, after numerous breaks and 2.5 hours later, I was proud and thankful of what I had accomplished.